Stylemom.com is excited to support Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in NYC this year!. The NYC area walk isn’t until October, but Stylemom readers can register at a discounted rate of $45 with the promo code WALK3 at http://www.avonwalk.org/new-york/.
Here are some highlights from walks around the country this year:
The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer returned for the eighth year to the Washington, D.C. area on, May 1st and 2nd, raising $6.8 million and drawing 3,000 participants from 40 states, including 271 breast cancer survivors.
(photo from Avon Walk For Breast Cancer Flickr)
All participants have their own unique stories and personal stories to tell but all unite throughout the weekend to become one – sharing their triumphs and tribulations, while working towards the common goal of eradicating breast cancer.
Avon Walk Washington, D.C.:
* Raised $6.5 million to advance access to care and finding a cure for breast cancer, the Avon Walk D.C. was a huge success
* More than 3,000 participants from 40 states and Washington, D.C., including 271 breast cancer survivors participated:
- D.C. Councilwoman, Mary Cheh, a breast cancer survivor who was in a budget hearing when she learned of her diagnosis.
- Gerie Voss, a breast cancer survivor who was diagnosed at the young age of 26.
- Deb Willis of Frederick, MD, also a breast cancer survivor who was at the 2009 Avon Walk D.C. top fundraiser and is the current top fundraiser for the Avon Walk DC having raised more than $65,000. Go Deb!!
Other cities who have supported the cause this year include: Houston – raised $2 Million; Boston – raised $5.8 Million; and Chicago – $7.7 Million.
* Donations are still being accepted and registration is still open for women and men to take part in the remaining Avon Walks of 2010: Rocky Mountains, CO (June 26-27); San Francisco, CA (July 10-11); Santa Barbara, CA* (September 11-12); New York, NY (October 16-17); and Charlotte, NC (October 23-24)
Get more info at Avonwalk.org
(Information provided by Attenion USA.)